A fire destroyed a building on Main Street in Galax Friday morning.
It broke out a little after 7 a.m. in the 200 block of Main Street. The building housed a comic book shop and several apartments. Four people escaped the fire without injury. Several others were displaced. They're now being helped by the American Red Cross.
The owner, Don Bond, says the building dates back to the early 1920's and was most recently housing a comic book shop and apartments for seven people.
Fire crews say the fire wall held up pretty well. Nearby buildings, like Delegate Bill Carrico's office, had mostly smoke damage.
"Now that we've had it opened up for a couple of hours, the smoke is starting to clear out and you can tell on the carpets where the soot has settled," said Carrico.