Comments, questions, concerns, story ideas, etc. email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may have seen or heard my promo.
I have cancer.
The story airs Monday night at 6o'clock.
This is a little weird for me.
I'm not used to "being" the story.
I'm a reporter, I tell other people's stories.
I struggled with this decision.
So, bottomline, WHY am I coming out with this?
Okay, a couple of reasons:
1. I was gone about 6-weeks. I had hundreds of messages on social media with people asking about me & when I would return. Others sent letters, cards & emails. Many called to find out if I still worked for the station. I try to respond to every message I get, so I felt like there was an obligation on my part to be honest.
2. When I returned to work I talked with a couple of women who I have done a lot of stories with over the years. Both of these women had dealt with my same cancer and I had NEVER known it. I thought to myself, 'WOW, here are two women who have gone through this and survived.' It made me feel a lot better.
3. Eventually I'll be taking off this wig (especially with it getting warmer!) I want to warn viewers this could be happening. (I think I may have mentioned how a viewer called screaming about a colleague wearing a hat while he went through cancer treatments. I'd like to avoid this.)
So, all these things being said, you don't just have to be a woman or going through cancer to get something from my story.
My message is simple.
- I didn't have symptoms, but I maintained my yearly check-ups.
By doing that, I really feel like I've saved my life.
- If you have a doctor and he's/she's not giving you the time for questions or addressing your concerns- find another doctor.
Remember, your doctor should want you to get a second opinion. Don't worry about hurting feelings, we're talking about your life.
- But, that being said, you don't need a best friend, you need a skilled doctor who's at the top of his/her game.
Bring your patience. In that waiting room, you can bet everyone is going through something, whether they look sick or not.
I'll be hosting a web chat at noon on Monday, May 6th.
The story will air at 6p.m. (Monday, May 6th)
I hope you'll join me.